A Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Actuarial Science at Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on the application of mathematical and statistical methods to assess and manage risks in various industries, particularly in insurance and finance. Actuaries are professionals who use mathematical models and data analysis to evaluate and predict the financial impact of future events and make informed decisions.
Qualifications to study Bachelor of Science Actuarial Science at Dedan Kimathi University
To study a Bachelor of Science Actuarial Science Program at Dedan Kimathi University one must have;
KCSE Aggregate Grade of C+ (plus) and C+ (plus) in English and C+ (plus) in Mathematics
Be a holder of an equivalent qualification as recognized by DeKUT Senate
Main Campus & Nairobi Campus
Here are some key aspects and subjects typically covered in a Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science program from Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology:
Bachelor of Science Actuarial Science Key Study Areas
1. Mathematics and Statistics: The program provides a strong foundation in mathematics and statistics. Students study calculus, probability theory, mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, and regression analysis. These subjects develop their quantitative and analytical skills, which are essential for actuarial work.
2. Actuarial Science Core Subjects: The program covers core subjects specific to actuarial science, including actuarial mathematics, life contingencies, risk theory, and survival models. Students learn about principles and techniques used in insurance, pensions, and other financial industries. They gain an understanding of mortality, morbidity, annuities, reserves, and other actuarial concepts.
3. Risk Management and Insurance: Students learn about risk management principles and techniques. They study insurance products, including property and casualty insurance, life insurance, health insurance, and annuities. Students gain knowledge of risk assessment, pricing, underwriting, and claims management.
4. Financial Mathematics and Investments: The program covers financial mathematics and investment analysis. Students learn about financial markets, portfolio theory, asset valuation, risk and return, and options and derivatives. They gain skills in analyzing investment opportunities, managing investment portfolios, and making informed financial decisions.
5. Probability Models and Simulation: Students study probability models and simulation techniques used in actuarial analysis. They learn about stochastic processes, time series analysis, and simulation methods. Students gain skills in modeling and simulating complex events and scenarios to estimate future outcomes.
6. Actuarial Software and Tools: The program introduces students to actuarial software and tools commonly used in the industry. Students learn how to work with statistical software, financial modeling tools, and actuarial software packages such as Excel, R, Python, or specialized actuarial software. They gain practical experience in using these tools for data analysis, modeling, and risk assessment.
7. Professional Actuarial Exams: Many actuarial science programs are designed to prepare students for professional actuarial exams. These exams are administered by actuarial professional organizations and are a requirement for becoming a certified actuary. The program curriculum often aligns with the syllabus of these exams to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for successful exam completion.
8. Business and Communication Skills: The program emphasizes the development of business acumen and effective communication skills. Students learn about business principles, ethics, and professional conduct. They enhance their communication abilities to present complex actuarial concepts and findings to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Upon completion of a Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science from Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology, graduates can pursue careers as actuaries in insurance companies, consulting firms, financial institutions, government agencies, or risk management departments of corporations.
They may work in areas such as pricing, underwriting, risk assessment, financial modeling, investment analysis, or pension planning. Graduates may also choose to pursue professional actuarial certifications, such as those offered by the Society of Actuaries (SOA) or the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS), by passing the required actuarial exams.
Dedan Kimathi University Application Process
Application forms can be obtained from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology Main Campus and Nairobi Campus or downloaded from the University website www.dkut.ac.ke. One can submit dully filled application forms or apply online from the university website https://www.dkut.ac.ke/index.php/academics/admission/apply-online, upon payment of a non-refundable application fee of Ksh.3, 000 for PhD, Ksh.1, 500 for Masters,Ksh.1, 000, for Undergraduate Degree, Ksh 500/- for Diploma and Certificate Programmes to any of the bank accounts on the application forms.
Registrar (Academic Affairs)
P.O. Box 657 – 10100 Nyeri
Tel: 061- 2050000
Registrar AA office: 0713 835 965 firstname.lastname@example.org
Nairobi Campus: 0710-127516 email@example.com
Marketing office: 0713-123021 firstname.lastname@example.org