A Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Criminology and Security Management at At Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on the study of crime, criminal behavior, and the various aspects of security management. It provides students with a comprehensive understanding of the criminal justice system, crime prevention strategies, and the principles of security administration.
Qualifications to study Bachelor of Science in Criminology and Security Management at Dedan Kimathi University
For the disciplined forces among them, the Police, Military, Prison and Security Officers;
KCSE Aggregate Grade of C+ (plus) and with a C (plain) in either English or Kiswahili.
Holders of KACE Certificate with a minimum of two principal passes and one subsidiary.
Holders of an accredited Diploma or Higher Diploma in Criminology & Security Management, Police and or Military Science, Forensics Science and or Psychology, and Computer Forensics with a Credit Pass that is recognized by DeKUT Senate and with a minimum of C- (minus) at KCSE.
Any other qualification accepted by DeKUT Senate as equivalent to any of the above.
Mode Of Study
Main Campus & Nairobi Campus
Bachelor of Science in Criminology and Security Management
Here are some key aspects and subjects typically covered in a Bachelor of Science in Criminology and Security Management program:
- Criminology: This field explores the causes and consequences of criminal behavior. Students learn about theories of crime, patterns of criminal activity, and the social, psychological, and economic factors that contribute to criminal behavior.
- Criminal Justice System: Students gain knowledge about the legal framework and institutions involved in the criminal justice system, including law enforcement agencies, courts, and corrections. They learn about the roles and responsibilities of these entities and how they work together to maintain law and order.
- Law and Legal Studies: This area of study introduces students to various legal concepts and principles relevant to criminology and security management. They learn about criminal law, constitutional law, evidence, and procedures within the legal system.
- Security Management: This component focuses on the principles and practices of security management in different contexts, such as public and private sectors, organizations, and communities. Students learn about risk assessment, security planning, emergency management, and the use of technology in security operations.
- Crime Prevention Strategies: Students explore proactive approaches to crime prevention, including situational crime prevention, community-based initiatives, and the use of technology for surveillance and crime analysis. They also study the evaluation of crime prevention programs and policies.
- Research Methods: This aspect of the program equips students with the skills necessary to conduct research in criminology and security management. They learn about quantitative and qualitative research methods, data collection and analysis, and how to evaluate and interpret research findings.
- Ethics and Professionalism: The program emphasizes the importance of ethical conduct and professional standards in the fields of criminology and security management. Students learn about ethical dilemmas, legal considerations, and professional responsibilities.
- Electives: Depending on the program, students may have the opportunity to choose electives in specialized areas of interest, such as forensic science, cybercrime, terrorism, or white-collar crime.
Career opportunities for graduates of a Bachelor of Science in Criminology and Security Management program at At Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology can be diverse. Graduates can pursue careers in law enforcement agencies, private security firms, government organizations, correctional facilities, research institutions, and non-profit organizations working in crime prevention and security. Job roles may include law enforcement officer, security manager, crime analyst, intelligence analyst, probation officer, or forensic investigator.
Dedan Kimathi University Application Process
Application forms can be obtained from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology Main Campus and Nairobi Campus or downloaded from the University website www.dkut.ac.ke. One can submit dully filled application forms or apply online from the university website https://www.dkut.ac.ke/index.php/academics/admission/apply-online, upon payment of a non-refundable application fee of Ksh.3, 000 for PhD, Ksh.1, 500 for Masters,Ksh.1, 000, for Undergraduate Degree, Ksh 500/- for Diploma and Certificate Programmes to any of the bank accounts on the application forms.
Registrar (Academic Affairs)
P.O. Box 657 – 10100 Nyeri
Tel: 061- 2050000
Registrar AA office: 0713 835 965 email@example.com
Nairobi Campus: 0710-127516 firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing office: 0713-123021 email@example.com