A Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) at Bachelor of Commerce is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on business and commerce-related subjects. It is a versatile and widely recognized degree that provides students with a solid foundation in various aspects of business, including accounting, finance, management, marketing, economics, and more.
The program is designed to equip students with the knowledge and skills necessary for a wide range of careers in the business world.
Qualifications to study Bachelor of Commerce at Dedan Kimathi University
KCSE aggregate Grade of C+(plus) with a C (plain) in Mathematics and English or Kiswahili OR Be a holder of an equivalent qualification recognized by the DeKUT Senate
Full Time & Weekend
Main Campus & Nairobi Campus
Here are some key aspects and subjects typically covered in a Bachelor of Commerce program At Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology:
Bachelor of Commerce Key Study Area
1. Core Business Subjects: Students are introduced to fundamental business disciplines such as accounting, finance, management, marketing, economics, business law, and business ethics. These subjects provide a broad understanding of the key principles and concepts that underpin business operations.
2. Specializations and Electives: Many Bachelor of Commerce programs offer specializations or concentrations in specific areas of business, allowing students to focus their studies on a particular field of interest. Common specializations include finance, marketing, human resource management, entrepreneurship, international business, accounting, supply chain management, and information systems.
3. Accounting and Financial Management: Students learn about financial accounting principles, managerial accounting techniques, financial statement analysis, budgeting, and financial decision-making. They gain skills in interpreting and using financial data to make informed business decisions.
4. Marketing and Consumer Behavior: This subject area explores marketing principles, market research, advertising, branding, product development, and consumer behavior. Students learn how to develop effective marketing strategies and understand the needs and preferences of consumers.
5. Economics: Students gain knowledge of microeconomics and macroeconomics, studying topics such as supply and demand, market structures, pricing strategies, economic policy, and the global economic environment. This helps them understand the economic forces that shape business operations.
6. Management and Organizational Behavior: Students learn about the principles of management, leadership, organizational behavior, team dynamics, and strategic planning. They develop skills in managing people, resources, and processes within organizations.
7. Business Law and Ethics: This subject covers the legal framework of business operations, contract law, intellectual property, employment law, and ethical considerations in business decision-making. Students learn about legal rights and responsibilities and ethical practices in the business world.
8. Business Analytics: With the growing importance of data-driven decision-making, many programs include courses on business analytics. Students learn how to collect, analyze, and interpret data to gain insights and support business strategies.
9. Professional Development: Some programs include professional development courses to enhance students’ soft skills, including communication, teamwork, leadership, and problem-solving abilities. These skills are crucial for success in the business environment.
Career opportunities for graduates of a Bachelor of Commerce program are vast and diverse. Graduates can find employment in various industries, including banking and finance, consulting, retail, manufacturing, technology, government, and non-profit organizations. Job roles may include business analyst, financial analyst, marketing manager, human resource manager, operations manager, account manager, or entrepreneur.
Dedan Kimathi University Application Process
Application forms can be obtained from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology Main Campus and Nairobi Campus or downloaded from the University website www.dkut.ac.ke. One can submit dully filled application forms or apply online from the university website https://www.dkut.ac.ke/index.php/academics/admission/apply-online, upon payment of a non-refundable application fee of Ksh.3, 000 for PhD, Ksh.1, 500 for Masters,Ksh.1, 000, for Undergraduate Degree, Ksh 500/- for Diploma and Certificate Programmes to any of the bank accounts on the application forms.
Registrar (Academic Affairs)
P.O. Box 657 – 10100 Nyeri
Tel: 061- 2050000
Registrar AA office: 0713 835 965 email@example.com
Nairobi Campus: 0710-127516 firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing office: 0713-123021 email@example.com