Kenya is a diverse and beautiful country with many great places to live. If you are new to Kenya or you are planning to visit the country, you will be shock by how much the country has to offer. To enjoy your stay in Kenya, I will suggest to you some of the best places you can reside and places you can visit as well.
The climate in Kenya varies depending on the region, but it is generally tropical, with hot and humid conditions along the coast and cooler, drier conditions in the highlands.
The country has two rainy seasons: a long rainy season from April to June and a shorter rainy season from October to December. The rest of the year is generally dry, with temperatures ranging from warm to hot.
In the highlands, temperatures are generally cooler, with average daytime temperatures ranging from around 15°C to 25°C. At night, temperatures can drop to around 10°C. In the coastal region, temperatures are generally hotter, with average daytime temperatures ranging from around 25°C to 35°C.
Overall, the best time to visit Kenya depends on your interests and what you want to do. The dry season (July to September and January to March) is generally the best time for safari and other outdoor activities, while the rainy seasons can be a good time to visit the coast and enjoy the beaches.
Top 10 Best Places To Live In Kenya
Here are ten places in Kenya that are known for their high quality of life and pleasant living conditions:
- Nairobi: The capital city of Kenya, Nairobi is a vibrant and cosmopolitan city with a mix of modern amenities and rich culture. It is home to many international organizations and embassies, as well as a variety of restaurants, shops, and entertainment options.
- Mombasa: Located on the coast of the Indian Ocean, Mombasa is a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful beaches and rich history. It is also home to a thriving port and a number of international businesses.
- Naivasha: Located in the Great Rift Valley, Naivasha is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, with many opportunities for hiking, cycling, and birdwatching. It is also home to several luxury resorts and a number of expat communities.
- Eldoret: Located in the highlands of western Kenya, Eldoret is known for its cool climate and friendly people. It is home to a number of international schools and a growing number of expats.
- Thika: Located in central Kenya, Thika is a rapidly growing town known for its pleasant living conditions and proximity to Nairobi. It is home to a number of international schools and a growing expat community.
- Malindi: Located on the coast of the Indian Ocean, Malindi is a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful beaches and rich history. It is also home to a number of expat communities and international schools.
- Kisumu: Located on the shores of Lake Victoria, Kisumu is a vibrant city known for its rich culture and friendly people. It is home to a number of international schools and a growing expat community.
- Nakuru: Located in the Great Rift Valley, Nakuru is a vibrant city known for its pleasant living conditions and proximity to many popular tourist attractions. It is home to a number of international schools and a growing expat community.
- Nanyuki: Located in the highlands of central Kenya, Nanyuki is a pleasant town known for its cool climate and friendly people. It is home to several international schools and a number of expat communities.
- Kitale: Located in western Kenya, Kitale is a pleasant town known for its friendly people and beautiful surroundings. It is home to a number of international schools and a growing expat community.
Why you should visit Kenya
Kenya is a beautiful and diverse country with many great reasons to visit. Here are just a few:
- Natural beauty: Kenya is home to a variety of landscapes, including savannas, forests, mountains, and beaches. It is also home to a number of national parks and reserves, including the Maasai Mara National Reserve, which is home to an incredible array of wildlife, including lions, elephants, and giraffes.
- Rich culture: Kenya has a diverse and rich culture, with more than 50 different ethnic groups and languages. Visitors can learn about traditional customs and ways of life through visits to local communities, markets, and cultural centers.
- Adventure: Kenya is a great destination for adventure seekers, with many opportunities for activities such as safari, hiking, cycling, and birdwatching.
- Beach vacations: Kenya has a long coastline along the Indian Ocean, which means it has many beautiful beaches to choose from. These beaches are great for swimming, sunbathing, and other water sports.
- Great food: Kenya has a diverse and delicious food scene, with a mix of African and international flavors. Visitors can enjoy everything from traditional dishes like ugali (a cornmeal dish) and sukuma wiki (collard greens) to international fare like pizza and pasta.
- Friendly people: Kenyans are known for their friendly and welcoming nature, which means visitors to the country are often made to feel at home.
- Good value for money: Kenya offers good value for money for travelers, with a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and many activities and experiences that are affordable.
In general, Kenya is a great destination for travelers who want to experience beautiful natural surroundings, rich culture, and friendly people.
Top 10 Best Places To Visit While In Kenya
You will be spoiled for places to visit while in Kenya as the country has many great places to visit. Here are ten of the top places to visit while in Kenya:
- Maasai Mara National Reserve: Located in southwestern Kenya, the Maasai Mara National Reserve is one of the most famous wildlife reserves in Africa. It is home to an incredible array of animals, including lions, leopards, elephants, and giraffes, and it is a great place for a safari.
- Amboseli National Park: Located in southern Kenya, Amboseli National Park is known for its stunning views of Mount Kilimanjaro and its large elephant population. It is also a great place for birdwatching, with more than 400 species of birds found in the park.
- Tsavo National Park: Located in southeastern Kenya, Tsavo National Park is the largest national park in Kenya and is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including lions, elephants, and giraffes.
- Nairobi National Park: Located just outside of Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, Nairobi National Park is a popular destination for visitors to the city. It is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including lions, leopards, and rhinoceroses.
- Lamu Island: Located off the coast of Kenya, Lamu Island is a beautiful and historic island known for its sandy beaches, charming stone houses, and rich Swahili culture.
- Lake Nakuru National Park: Located in central Kenya, Lake Nakuru National Park is known for its beautiful pink flamingos and its large populations of rhinoceroses and lions.
- Samburu National Reserve: Located in northern Kenya, Samburu National Reserve is a beautiful and rugged reserve known for its diverse wildlife, including elephants, giraffes, and crocodiles.
- Mombasa: Located on the coast of the Indian Ocean, Mombasa is a popular tourist destination known for its beautiful beaches and rich history. It is also home to a number of cultural and historical sites, including the old town and Fort Jesus.
- Nanyuki: Located in the highlands of central Kenya, Nanyuki is a pleasant town known for its cool climate and friendly people. It is a great place for outdoor activities, such as hiking and cycling.
- Nakuru: Located in the Great Rift Valley, Nakuru is a vibrant city known for its pleasant living conditions and proximity to many popular tourist attractions. It is also home to a number of cultural and historical sites, including the Menengai Crater and the Lord Egerton Castle.
Is AirBnB services available in Kenya?
Yes, Airbnb is available in Kenya. Airbnb is a website and app that allows people to list and book short-term rentals of private homes and apartments. It is a popular option for travelers looking for alternative accommodation options to hotels.
To use Airbnb in Kenya, you will need to create an account on the website or app and search for rentals in the desired location. You can filter your search by price, number of guests, and other preferences. Once you have found a rental that meets your needs, you can book it directly through the Airbnb platform.
Keep in mind that availability and prices on Airbnb can vary, and it is a good idea to book early to ensure you get the rental you want. You can also read reviews from previous guests to get an idea of what to expect from the rental.
What is the currency used in Kenya?
The currency used in Kenya is the Kenyan shilling (KES). The Kenyan shilling is divided into 100 cents. The central bank of Kenya, the Central Bank of Kenya, is responsible for issuing and regulating the currency.
Coins come in denominations of 50 cents, 1 shilling, 5 shillings, and 10 shillings. Banknotes come in denominations of 50 shillings, 100 shillings, 200 shillings, 500 shillings, and 1,000 shillings.
It is important to note that some places, especially tourist areas, may also accept U.S. dollars or other foreign currencies. However, it is generally a good idea to have some Kenyan shillings on hand for smaller purchases and for use in areas where foreign currencies are not accepted.
How is the cost of living in Kenya?
The cost of living in Kenya varies depending on where you live and your personal lifestyle. In general, the cost of living in Kenya is lower than in many developed countries, but it can still be relatively high in major cities such as Nairobi.
Here are some approximate costs of common expenses in Kenya:
- Rent: Prices for rent in Kenya vary depending on the location and type of property. On average, you can expect to pay around 30,000 KES per month for a one-bedroom apartment in a major city, and around 50,000 KES per month for a three-bedroom house.
- Groceries: The cost of groceries in Kenya is generally lower than in many developed countries. A weekly grocery bill for one person may cost around 3,000 KES.
- Transportation: Public transportation costs in Kenya vary depending on the city and mode of transport. A monthly public transportation pass in a major city may cost around 2,000 KES.
- Health care: Health care costs in Kenya vary depending on the type of care you need and whether you have insurance. Some medical treatments, such as surgery, may be more expensive in Kenya than in other countries.
- Entertainment: The cost of entertainment in Kenya varies depending on your interests. A movie ticket may cost around 500 KES, and a meal at a mid-range restaurant may cost around 1,000 KES.
Again, these are just estimates and the actual costs will depend on your personal circumstances and where you live in Kenya.
Which languages are spoken in Kenya?
Kenya is a diverse country with more than 50 different ethnic groups and languages. The official languages of Kenya are English and Swahili, and both are widely spoken throughout the country.
In addition to English and Swahili, there are many other languages spoken in Kenya, including:
In addition to these indigenous languages, other languages, such as French, Arabic, and Portuguese, are also spoken by smaller communities in Kenya.
English is the language of business and government in Kenya, and it is generally spoken by educated people and those working in professional or managerial positions. Swahili is the national language and is widely spoken throughout the country, particularly in urban areas. It is also the language of instruction in many schools.
Overall, Kenya is a multilingual country with a rich linguistic diversity.
How is the infrastructure and transport system in Kenya?
Kenya has a well-developed infrastructure and transport system, with a network of roads, airports, and ports that connect the different regions of the country.
Roads: Kenya has a network of paved and unpaved roads that connect major cities and towns. The road system in Kenya is generally well-maintained, but traffic can be heavy in urban areas, particularly in Nairobi. There are also many matatus, which are privately-owned minibuses that provide public transportation.
Airports: Kenya has a number of international airports, including Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi and Moi International Airport in Mombasa. These airports provide connections to major cities around the world and are served by a number of international airlines.
Railyway: Kenya has a well and functional Standard Guarge Railway. The Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) is a railway system in Kenya that connects the port city of Mombasa to the capital city of Nairobi and beyond. It was built to replace the old colonial-era railway and is part of a larger infrastructure project to improve transport links within Kenya and the wider East African region. The SGR has had a significant impact on transportation in Kenya, providing a faster and more efficient alternative to road travel between Mombasa and Nairobi. It has also helped to boost economic development and trade in the region.
Ports: Kenya has a number of ports, including the port of Mombasa, which is a major hub for shipping in East Africa. The port of Mombasa is also a major gateway for imports and exports to and from the landlocked countries of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, and South Sudan.
In general, the infrastructure and transport system in Kenya is well-developed and provides good connectivity within the country and to other parts of the world. However, there are some challenges, such as congestion in urban areas and a lack of reliable public transportation in some areas.
Is Uber services available in Kenya?
Yes, Uber is available in Kenya. It is available in many cities around the world, including Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya.
To use Uber in Kenya, you will need to download the Uber app on your smartphone and create an account. Once your account is set up, you can request a ride by entering your pickup location and destination into the app. The app will then connect you with a nearby Uber driver who will take you to your destination. Payment is made through the app, and you can see the cost of the ride before you request it.
Uber is a convenient and affordable option for transportation in Kenya, especially in urban areas.