A Master of Science (MSc) in Chemistry is a postgraduate degree program offered by Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology that provides students with advanced knowledge and research skills in the field of chemistry. It focuses on the study of the composition, properties, structure, and behavior of matter, as well as the chemical reactions and transformations that occur.
Qualifications to study Master of Science in Chemistry at Dedan Kimathi University
To study a Master of Science in Chemistry Program at Dedan Kimathi University one must be a holder of at least an Upper Second Class Honors Bachelors degree of DeKUT in BSc. Industrial Chemistry. OR
A holder of at least a second class honors upper division Bachelors of Science degree in relevant field from DeKUT or any other institution recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent academic status to (i) OR
A holder of a Bachelor’s Degree, Second Class (Lower Division), in Industrial Chemistry or Bachelors of Science Degree in relevant field from DeKUT or any other institution recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent academic status and who in addition must show proof of two years of relevant experience and professional development and academic advancement through research and publication since graduation with the bachelor’s degree or postgraduate diploma in the relevant field.
Two (2) Academic years
Here are some key aspects and subjects typically covered in a Master of Science in Chemistry program at Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology:
Master of Science in Chemistry Key Study Areas
1. Core Chemistry Subjects: The program covers core areas of chemistry, including organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and analytical chemistry. Students deepen their understanding of chemical principles and theories, learn about advanced laboratory techniques, and gain expertise in the different branches of chemistry.
2. Specializations: Many MSc in Chemistry programs offer the opportunity to specialize in specific areas of chemistry based on individual interests and career goals. Specializations can include organic synthesis, materials chemistry, medicinal chemistry, environmental chemistry, computational chemistry, or biochemistry, among others.
3. Laboratory Techniques: Students develop advanced laboratory skills and techniques, including synthesis and purification of chemical compounds, spectroscopic analysis, chromatography, electrochemistry, and microscopy. They learn how to design experiments, collect and interpret data, and conduct independent research.
4. Advanced Topics in Chemistry: The program covers advanced topics and emerging areas of research in chemistry. Students explore current trends, new methodologies, and cutting-edge techniques in areas such as nanotechnology, renewable energy, drug discovery, catalysis, or polymer chemistry.
5. Research and Thesis: Many MSc in Chemistry programs require students to conduct independent research and write a thesis based on their research findings. This research component allows students to apply their knowledge and skills to a specific research problem under the guidance of a faculty advisor. It provides an opportunity to contribute to scientific knowledge and make original contributions to the field.
6. Analytical and Instrumental Techniques: Students learn advanced techniques for chemical analysis, such as spectroscopy (UV-Vis, IR, NMR, Mass spectrometry), chromatography (HPLC, GC), and other instrumental methods. They gain expertise in interpreting and analyzing data generated by these techniques.
7. Computational Chemistry: Some programs include courses or modules on computational chemistry. Students learn how to use computer-based methods to model and simulate chemical systems, predict properties of molecules, and study chemical reactions. Computational chemistry plays a crucial role in drug design, materials science, and theoretical chemistry.
8. Scientific Communication and Presentation Skills: The program emphasizes the development of effective scientific communication skills. Students learn how to write research papers, present scientific findings, and effectively communicate complex scientific concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Career opportunities for graduates of a Master of Science in Chemistry from Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology are diverse and can be found in various sectors. Graduates may work in research and development laboratories, pharmaceutical companies, chemical manufacturing industries, government agencies, forensic science laboratories, environmental agencies, or academic institutions. Job roles may include research scientist, laboratory manager, quality control analyst, analytical chemist, process chemist, or scientific consultant. Some graduates may also choose to pursue a Ph.D. in Chemistry for further specialization and to pursue academic or research-oriented careers.
Dedan Kimathi University Application Process
Application forms can be obtained from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology Main Campus and Nairobi Campus or downloaded from the University website www.dkut.ac.ke. One can submit dully filled application forms or apply online from our website https://www.dkut.ac.ke/index.php/academics/admission/apply-online, upon payment of a non-refundable application fee of Ksh.3, 000 for PhD, Ksh.1, 500 for Masters,Ksh.1, 000, for Undergraduate Degree, Ksh 500/- for Diploma and Certificate Programmes to any of the bank accounts on the application forms.
Registrar (Academic Affairs)
P.O. Box 657 – 10100 Nyeri
Tel: 061- 2050000
Registrar AA office: 0713 835 965 email@example.com
Nairobi Campus: 0710-127516 firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing office: 0713-123021 email@example.com