A Master of Science (MSc) in Industrial Laser Technology and Photonics At Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology is a specialized postgraduate degree program that focuses on the study and application of laser technology and photonics in industrial settings. It is designed to provide students with a deep understanding of the principles, design, and practical applications of lasers and photonics, particularly in industrial and manufacturing sectors.
Qualifications to study Master of Science in Industrial Laser Technology and Photonics at Dedan Kimathi University
To study a Master of Science in Industrial Laser Technology and Photonics Program at Dedan Kimathi University one must be a holder of at least a Upper Second Class Honours Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Laser Technology and Photonics, Physics or Engineering from a recognized University. OR
A holder of at least a Upper Second Class Honours Bachelors Degree of Science in relevant field, which is recognized by the University Senate as an adequate prerequisite for M.Sc. in Industrial Laser Technology and Photonics OR
A holder of at least a Second Class Honours (Lower Division) Bachelors Degree of Science from DeKUT or any other institution which recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent academic and who in addition must show proof of either two years relevant experience and personal development or academic advancement through research and publications since graduation with the Bachelor Degree or a Postgraduate Diploma in the relevant field. OR
A holder of other qualifications recognized by DeKUT Senate as being equivalent to (a), (b), (c), OR
A holder of a DeKUT postgraduate Diploma in the corresponding area of specialization.
Two (2) Academic Years
Here are some key aspects and subjects typically covered in a Master of Science in Industrial Laser Technology and Photonics program at Dedan Kimathi University Of Technology:
Master of Science in Industrial Laser Technology and Photonics Key Study Areas
1. Laser Physics and Optics: The program covers the fundamental principles of laser physics and optics. Students learn about laser types, laser operation principles, laser beam characteristics, and laser safety protocols. They gain an understanding of light-matter interactions and the properties of optical materials.
2. Photonics and Optical Components: Students explore the field of photonics, which involves the generation, manipulation, and detection of light. They learn about optical components such as lenses, mirrors, filters, fibers, and detectors, as well as their design, fabrication, and characterization.
3. Laser Applications: The program focuses on the practical applications of lasers and photonics in industrial settings. Students learn about laser materials processing techniques, including laser cutting, welding, marking, engraving, and additive manufacturing (3D printing). They gain knowledge of laser metrology, laser spectroscopy, and laser diagnostics.
4. Laser Systems and Instrumentation: Students study the design, construction, and operation of laser systems and instrumentation. They learn about laser system components, such as lasers, optics, power supplies, and control systems. They gain hands-on experience in laser system integration, alignment, and maintenance.
5. Laser Safety and Regulations: The program covers laser safety protocols and regulations. Students learn about laser hazard classifications, safety practices, and laser safety standards in industrial environments. They gain an understanding of safety measures to protect workers and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
6. Laser Materials and Processing: Students gain knowledge of the materials used in laser applications and their interaction with laser beams. They learn about materials properties, thermal effects, and process optimization for specific applications. They also explore emerging laser materials and advanced laser processing techniques.
7. Industrial Applications: The program focuses on applying laser technology and photonics in industrial sectors such as manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, electronics, healthcare, and energy. Students explore case studies and practical applications of lasers in these industries, including process optimization, quality control, and product development.
8. Research and Project Work: Many programs include a research or project component where students work on industry-relevant projects or engage in independent research. This allows students to apply their knowledge and skills to real-world problems, collaborate with industry partners, and contribute to advancements in laser technology and photonics.
Career opportunities for graduates of a Master of Science in Industrial Laser Technology and Photonics can be found in various industries and sectors where lasers and photonics play a crucial role. Graduates may work in laser manufacturing companies, research and development laboratories, semiconductor industries, medical device companies, aerospace industries, or academic and research institutions. Job roles may include laser engineer, laser system designer, photonics researcher, laser applications specialist, or laser safety officer.
Dedan Kimathi University Application Process
Application forms can be obtained from Dedan Kimathi University of Technology Main Campus and Nairobi Campus or downloaded from the University website www.dkut.ac.ke. One can submit dully filled application forms or apply online from our website https://www.dkut.ac.ke/index.php/academics/admission/apply-online, upon payment of a non-refundable application fee of Ksh.3, 000 for PhD, Ksh.1, 500 for Masters,Ksh.1, 000, for Undergraduate Degree, Ksh 500/- for Diploma and Certificate Programmes to any of the bank accounts on the application forms.
Registrar (Academic Affairs)
P.O. Box 657 – 10100 Nyeri
Tel: 061- 2050000
Registrar AA office: 0713 835 965 firstname.lastname@example.org
Nairobi Campus: 0710-127516 email@example.com
Marketing office: 0713-123021 firstname.lastname@example.org