1 student dies, 5 others go blind after drinking hand sanitizer

One student from Kaputir Mixed Secondary School in Turkana South has died while other five lost their sight after consuming hand sanitizer while in school.
The form four student is reported to have drunk the high alcohol level hand sanitizer together with other 5 students.
The six male secondary school students, aged between 16 and 17, are said to have consumed the substance rich in alcohol on Saturday, February 20.
The five, who are now visually challenged, say they regret taking the harmful substance.
One of the victim who aspires to be a doctor said he regrets his action as it was unfortunate that his dream to become a doctor could be shattered.
“I am, however, feeling pain in the throat and stomach,” the blind student stated said.
It is not clear how the hand sanitize found its way into the school as the school principal refused to comment on the matter.
READ:68 Students From Bahati Girls Nakuru Tests Positive For Covid-19
Parents are however demanding to be given an explanation as to how the incident happened that led to students drinking hand sanitizer while in school.
“We are demanding the principal resigns, and the board of governors sent packing over the negligence, said a parent.
The body of the victim was taken to a Turkana hospital morgue, awaiting burial next week.
Upon resumption of normal learning in schools early this year, education CS Prof. George Magoha banned the usage of hand sanitizers in schools.
The CS had indicated that hand sanitizers pose a great risk and unruly students might consume it in the name of alcohol and cause health effects.
The CS directed school heads to install hand washing points in their schools for learners to wash their hands with soap as a preventive measure against Covid-19.
The CS also warned parents against giving their children hand sanitizers to carry them to school
READ:Another student arrested as students sneak knives in school

Buy and sell anything for free on the biggest free online marketplace in Kenya.Visit