Job interviewers sometimes might take fairly unusual approach to interview questions while most interviews involve exchange of common questions. Would it be great if you knew the exact questions the hiring manager would be asking?
These article will walk you through the steps you need to follow, while outlining the strategy behind every question, sharing some of the big interview tips and formula and give you sample responses that works well and even what to avoid when facing an interview panel.
I understand how much hard work you’re putting or you put to finally land a job interview, from creating a winning CV to learning how to write a cover letter. I am sure the last thing you want is to fail your interview. Relaxing at this stage means you’re loosing on your most sort after job opportunities.
Here are 7 tips on how to answer basic interview questions positively and sample responses during an interview process.
Tell us about yourself?
- Concentrate on telling the interview panel your work-related skills as oppose to your home life.
- Download a copy of the job specifications and focus on telling them how your skills and attributes that match the document.
- Use “power words” in your response such as: motivated, loyal, flexible, Committed, hard-working etc. These will resonate well with the panel.
Sample response: First and foremost I am a hard- working, enthusiast person who understand how important work is to my overall happiness. I take my work very seriously and I am always looking to improve my skills and qualifications so I can work to the highest standard in my role. I have excellent communication skills and fully understand how important it is to deliver outstanding customer service-after all without the customers and there would be no job and I would not have a job.
Why do you want to work here?
- Tell them the preparation work you have put in the build up to the interview.
- Focus on the person specifications, job descriptions and information you have gained from the company’s web link and information you have gained during your research.
Sample response: Having studied the person’s specification and the job description for this role, I feel I have the skills, qualities and attributes to carry out my job to a very high standard. I Also feel that the role will give me a new fresh challenge something which I have been looking for for some time now. Having also studied your company in detail, there seem to be a very positive approach to the work you carry out and also I like the way you strive to deliver to a high standard.
What are your strength?
- Focus on the person’s specifications for the role you’re applying for
- Say something different that make you stand out from the other job applicants. Give an example why you’re better than the other applicant and try to make yourself relatable and real.
Sample response: I have many positive qualities to bring to this role, but I believe my main strength are:
- I am great team player.
- I have a hard working nature.
- I like to support and help others develop.
- I am dependable.
- I have an enthusiastic demeaning.
- I am always looking for the positives in every situation.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
- Don’t tell them you plan to have moved on from their company either internally or externally.
- Don’t tell them you want to be sat where they are,
Sample response: If I am successful today, the first thing I plan to do is to get competent as soon as possible. I have no idea how long this will take, however based on my high level of enthusiasm I aim to get trained quickly.
Once I am trained up in the role to a good standard I would like to consolidate my skills and become a experience within the team, its very important to me to be accepted and respected by my other colleagues and peers and I also want to do well in my appraisal.
What are your weaknesses?
- Don’t tell the panel that you have no weakness.
- Don’t give a weakness that is one of the key requirement to the role.
Sample response: I do have one weakness, and that is sometime I get irritated when people don’t carry their work to a high standard. Because I set myself high standard so I expect others to have them too and this is not always the case and it can irritate me a times. I have learnt to always focus on my job and do it to a consistent high standard.
Having said that, I have recently trained myself to turn this weakness into something positive by helping other people within the work environment to improve.
What makes a good team member?
- Back up your answer with a specific example when you worked as a part of a team using the STAR technique:
Sample response: effective team work is always vital in any organization
And I feel what makes a good team is;
- A dedicated team leader,
- Ability to focus on the end goal,
- Great communication amongst team members and its leaders,
- A comprehensive initial brief so that every member of the team knows what they are doing,
- Be supportive of other team members.
Read Also: Alibaba Billionaire Jack Ma finally resurfaces after going missing for weeks
Can you give an example when you have worked well under pressure?
- Try to give an example of when you have carried out a difficult pressurized task under strict time constraints.
- Give a specific example and don’t forget to mention the STAR technique in your response.
I have created this list of top 7 questions asked in a job interview and answers that you can practice that I feel will help you eliminate fear and build your confident to finally land your most sort after job.