How to apply for a certificate of good conduct in Kenya. A certificate of good conduct also referred to us police clearance certificate is an important document that proves that an individual does not have a criminal record. One can easily apply for a good contact certificate through the online portal and get it within a month.
Application of good conduct certificate is no longer done through visiting a police station as it used to be before. For one to apply for a police clearance certificate, one will need to make the application online through the eCitizen portal and submit the printed forms to the nearest Huduma Centre for fingerprint taking.
An application fee of Sh.1050 will be required during the online application process.
How To apply for a certificate of good conduct
- Create or Log into your eCitizen Account first
- Head to Directorate of Criminal Investigation option
- Select Make application option
- Select Police Clearance Certificate (Good conduct) option
- Select the appropriate type of Police clearance certificate according to your age bracket eg (Child under 18 or Adult)
- On the page that appears next, select Apply now
- Fill in the details regarding where and when you intend to have your fingerprints taken. For this option, select the nearest Huduma Centre around you.
- Review your details and click on submit
- You will be redirected to the payment menu where you will choose your payment option.
- For M-pesa payment Go to your M-PESA Paybill menu and enter the business number 206206 then use the unique code that will be generated by the system as the account number. Enter 1050 as the amount then provide your PIN to complete the payment.
- You will receive a confirmation SMS for your payment.
- Once you have received the confirmation SMS, click on complete
- Download and print two copies of the invoice
- Download and print the fingerprint forms as well
Payment Options during application
Apart from M-Pesa there are various payment methods you can used depending on your preference.
Below is a list of payment methods you can use when applying for a certificate of good conduct.
- Airtel money
- Debit/Credit/Prepaid card
- KCB Cash
- Equity Cash
Once you have applied for the police clearance certificate and paid, take the two copies of the invoice and the fingerprint forms to the Huduma Centre you selected on the date you specified. NOTE| It is possible to get your fingerprints taken on the same day you applied.
Requirements During Fingerprint Processing
For your fingerprints to be processed, you will need to have
- 2 printed copies of your invoice
- A printed C24 Finger prints and palm print forms
- Original National Identity Card and its photocopy
- Original birth certificate and its photocopy for persons below the age of 18 years
Present the above required documents before your fingerprints can be taken. Once your fingerprints have been taken, you will be handed one copy of stamped invoice. You can use this stamped invoice copy for services such as job application as a temporary official document as you wait for the certificate.
How To Get Your Good Conduct certificate
Upon successful application, it takes between two to three weeks for the certificate to be available. Your fingerprints will have to be run through the DCI Headquarters database before you can be issued with a certificate. Should the database determine that you have a criminal record, your application will be declined.
After the specified waiting period, your certificate will be uploaded on your eCitizen portal where you will be able to download it. Usually you will receive an email notification informing you that your certificate is ready for download and printing.
To download your Police Clearance certificate, Log into your eCitizen account, head to the Directorate of Criminal Investigation section, confirm if your certificate is available in the portal, download and print it.
If the certificate is missing in the database, you will have to wait before it can be available for you.
Validity Of Certificate Of Good Conduct
Owing to the fact that the criminal record of a person can change anytime, a certificate of good conduct is valid for a period of one year from the time one acquired it. Upon the expiry of this period you will be required to apply for another certificate should you be in need of one.
List of Huduma Centres Across Kenya
Below is a list of all Huduma Centres in the country. You should make your application from the nearest Huduma centre that is easily accessible.
- DCI Headquarters – Nairobi
- DCI – Ongata Rongai
- Huduma Centre GPO Nairobi
- Huduma Centre Eastleigh
- Huduma Centre Kibra
- Huduma Centre Mombasa
- Huduma Centre Kwale
- Huduma Centre Kilifi
- Huduma Centre Lamu
- Huduma Centre Tana River
- Huduma Centre Kisumu
- Huduma Centre Siaya
- Huduma Centre Homa Bay
- Huduma Centre Migori
- Huduma Centre Kisii
- Huduma Centre Kakamega
- Huduma Centre Busia
- Huduma Centre Vihiga
- Huduma Centre Bungom
- Huduma Centre Nyeri
- Huduma Centre Thika
- Huduma Centre Muranga
- Huduma Centre Kirinyaga
- Huduma Centre Nyandarua
Lower Eastern Region
- Huduma Centre Embu
- Huduma Centre Meru
- Huduma Centre Tharaka Nithi
- Huduma Centre Machakos
- Huduma Centre Kitui
- Huduma Centre Makueni
Upper Eastern Region
- Huduma Centre Isiolo
- Huduma Centre Marsabit
- Huduma Centre Wajir
- Huduma Centre Turkana
North Rift Region
- Huduma Centre Bomet
- Huduma Centre Eldoret
- Huduma Centre Baringo
- Huduma Centre Kericho
South Rift Region
- Huduma Centre Nakuru
- Huduma Centre Narok
- Huduma Centre Bomet
You can also see how to apply for Helb Clearance Certificate for free of charge
Daily Press is Kenya’s fastest rising online content platform with exclusive stories