Carpets are the most common floor covering in the world. They are a key element of interior design and home decoration. A carpet can be made from different materials such as wool, cotton, silk, and synthetic fibers.
Carpet is a textile floor covering consisting of pile or tufted layers, typically made from wool or other animal hair, although increasingly synthetic fibers such as polyester, nylon, or acrylic are being used in modern carpets.
A carpet may consist of an upper layer of pile on top of a backing. The pile is typically twisted around the backing to form loops that hold the fibers together and give the appearance of a knotted rope. This arrangement is commonly called a tufted carpet.
Carpets are a little more difficult to clean than hard surfaces. They require a more thorough cleaning process and the use of chemicals.
Carpets need to be cleaned for several reasons and many people are reluctant to clean their carpets because of the time and effort it takes to do so. Did you know that carpets that are not washed regularly can become a health hazard?
7 Nasty Things Hiding In Your Carpet & How To Clean It
There are a number of nasty things that hide in carpets that many people are not aware of. Let us look at some of them.
- Dust Mites
Dust mites are microscopic creatures that live in the air and on surfaces. They feed on dead skin cells, hair, and other organic matter. They are found in all houses with carpeting or upholstered furniture.
Dust mites are a nuisance for those who suffer from allergies or asthma because they can cause irritation and inflammation of the respiratory system.
They may also be a risk factor for developing asthma in children who have high rates of exposure to house dust mites. They’re so small that you can’t see them with your naked eye.
- Dead Skin Cells
The human body naturally sheds its skin to get rid of old skin cells helping the skin become new and supple. Over time, these tiny dead skin cells accumulate on surfaces such as carpets so it’s important to clean your carpets thoroughly to get rid of them.
Carpets are notorious for harboring dirt that comes from shoes, dirty feet, fine dust from the air, pets and other dirty items that get moved around the house. The dirt on carpets is not just unsightly, it can also cause health problems for you and your family.
- Pet Feces
People who have carpets and keep pets such as dogs or cats inside their houses will have to face this issue of pets messing on the floor and especially on carpets.
Not only is the smell not pleasant, but small fecal matter from pets that gets trapped inside the carpets will cause the carpet to become a breeding ground for harmful bacteria that might become a health hazard to family members.
Mold is a type of fungus that can grow on carpets. Mold can grow on carpets in wet areas such as bathrooms, kitchens and near water sources. It is also possible to have mold present even if no visible signs are present.
Mold can cause health problems by causing allergic reactions in people with asthma or other respiratory conditions. The mold spores are spread through the air, so it is important to keep your carpets clean and dry.
Carpets are a common household item that provides a soft and cozy feeling. But, they also provide an ideal hiding place for bugs. Bugs on carpets are a common problem. They can be caused by a variety of factors and can be difficult to get rid of.
Some of the common bugs that can hide in carpets include: Bed bugs, dust mites, carpet beetles
E Coli, Salmonella, and Staphylococcus are some of the most dangerous bacteria discovered in carpets! These could be carried in by pets or on the bottoms of shoes as feces. Regardless of how careful you are, bacteria will find its way into your house and that’s why your carpets need to be cleaned every few weeks or months.
How To Clean Carpets
Now that we have discovered some of the nasty things that carpets can harbor, let’s look at how to clean your carpets
Cleaning At Home
If you have the time and space, you can clean your carpet outside your house. Depending on the size of the carpet, you will need to fill 2 or 3 buckets with water and add normal washing detergents and create a good lather. as you do this, note areas on the carpet that have stains
- Sweep the carpet to get rid of any surface debris like food and dirt particles lodged within the carpet material
- Pour the soapy water all over the carpet slowly to let it sink well within the fabrics of the carpet.
- Depending on the material of the carpet, you can use a hard brush or a soft one to scrub its surface.
- Thoroughly scrub the carpet (especially areas that were stained). When you are satisfied the carpet is clean, pour clean water on it and push it out with the stiff brush until you notice the soapy water has all been flushed out.
- Roll the carpet and with the assistance of another person (carpets suck in a lot of water and weigh twice as much after washing them), then make the carpet stand vertical next to a wall (while rolled up) for 1 hour to allow water to drain and make it less heavy.
- After an hour or so, hang it on a wall and let it dry in the sun
- Use a Professional Cleaning Company
If you don’t have the time to clean your carpet yourself, it is important to find a service provider who can do the job well and at the best price. There are many carpet cleaning companies out there however not all services are equally good.
Some companies offer low quality work with high prices that can damage your carpet more than it needs to be cleaned.A good, professional carpet cleaning company will offer you a lot of benefits that you would not be able to get by cleaning yourself.
Some of the benefits include:-
- Use of industrial scrubbing machines to thoroughly clean every part of your carpet, dislodging hidden dirt and particles that cannot be reached by using a normal brush.
- Cleaning companies use industrial cleaning solutions that cannot be easily found in supermarkets thus ensuring that all manner of dirt and grime will be removed from your carpet making it look as good as new.
- After scrubbing with machines, the use of a vacuuming machine will ensure much of the water is sucked out of the carpet. This will help the carpet dry faster even in cold conditions.
- You save precious time that you can utilize to do other important activities as you let the company do all the work for you
Our homes are precious to us and we also need to take good care of them. This can only happen when we have a clean home since hygiene is very important for our well being. Carpets can be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and germs and this might lead to health complications.
Whether you clean the carpets yourself or hire a cleaning company to do it for you, do not take a gamble with your health!